
Teens and "Sexting"
In keeping with this week's topic, I decided to look up information on teens and the trend of "sexting." I came across a CBS article on their website on the topic and it presented some good insight to this issue and some of the ramifications for teens choosing to engage in this practice.
Sexting-sending nude or provocative photos via text message is a growing trend among many American teens.
According to the National Campaign to Support Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, over 20% of teens have admitted to participating in "sexting." Not only is this inappropriate for obvious reasons for teens, it follows under the practices of child pornography laws especially when these pictures show up in public places like the internet. In many states sexting, falls under these child pornography laws and this is a felony. One boy admitted that after he broke up with his girlfriend, he sent out the nude pictures she had sent to him to all of his friends. Unfortunately for him, he had just turned 18, legally an adult, she was still a minor. For every picture he sent, was one count of child pornography, so he was charged with 76 counts of child pornography, sent to jail, and now has 5 years of probation and is also on the State of Florida's Child Sex Offender list for 25 years!
Teens do not have the ability to see the disastrous consequences on such a small act. They text sexy pictures for validation and self esteem, but once these pictures go public, the legal problems are quite extensive. Most states are trying to reduce the penalties for teen sexting to a misdemeanor, but many states are not agreeing to this, saying that teens need harsh consequences for engaging in such behavior.
I feel that this article did a great job outlining the issues with teen sexting. The problem is that we need to get this information to the teens and let them know the extreme consequences involved in sexting or other sexuality explicit behaviors. Like with other teen topics, sexting is one that needs to be communicated and one that has legal issues as well. Tweens and Teens are smart and I think that with communication and openly talking to our teens about things like sex, they will make better choices in the future.
Retrieved from: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/31/sunday/main5051909.shtml
I tend to think that the legal reaction you describe is a bit overboard. HOWEVER, for some reason sexting really bothers me, (I am always surprised when my prudish nature pops up). I know HS freshman that engage in this practice and it blows my mind - they are so young! And the slut shaming that goes along with it - girls ostracized, boys slapped on the back, is doubly disturbing. I agree about getting the knowledge out there - and find it a totally appropriate topic for this class since younger kids (12/13) have been known to engage in it.
ReplyDelete